Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blog 2.0

Welcome to my new and improved blog! While I will still be delving into raw food adventures and culinary exploits, I also want to focus on re-dedicating myself to veganism and spreading vegan goodness. I have really been concentrating on the Jain/Buddhist principle of ahimsa lately, and I think one of the best ways to "do no harm" is through dietary choices. Ultimately, I think 100% raw would be great, and I very much respect raw foodists.

Right now, though, I want to focus on fresh, unprocessed, clean vegan food. I have no doubt that vegan food in general is a great way to respect life and the planet. While I may be using energy to cook some of the food I eat, I'm not partaking in an industry that pollutes, wastes water and ultimately disregards and disrespects the lives of sentient beings.

Anyway, that's where I am right now. I'm so grateful for all the support I've gotten from everyone, and I invite everyone who stumbles across my blog to stay for the ride.

Here are some of the principles I want to follow from now on. Whether or not I'll be 100% successful, time will tell. I hope that just introducing some of these things into my life will have noticeable positive effects:
  • Daily meditation. Right now, I'm really researching Theraveda meditation and its benefits, and I'm thoroughly impressed. I figure that by incorporating this practice into my mornings, at the very least I'll start out the day on a positive note.
  • No processed foods. If I want tofu, I'll make it myself. If I want almond milk, I'll make it myself. I want to avoid chemical additives as much as possible. Lately, I've been slipping back into my awful Diet Coke habit, and I want to get away from that and as many chemicals I can.
  • Daily reading. My students are encouraged to read eight books a quarter. If they can do it, so can I.
  • Yoga. I've always wanted to start a yoga practice. If taking a shot means setting my alarm an hour earlier, I'm willing.
 Henceforth, today will be known as the day freshness was born. Here we go!

1 comment:

jescantonelli said...

This is so cool! I am so glad you are sharing your evolution of eating with us. I am right there with you on so much of this stuff--vegetarianism (working toward vegan!), the wish that I could go raw 100% (I think incorporating raw recipes and greens smoothies frequently is a great/tasty compromise), meditation, yoga.
Yoga has changed my life, personally, and I have been meaning to try meditation. One thing at a time though-definitely still trying to figure food out myself! Hopefully we can share recipes and tips :)
Looking forward to hearing more!

PS- I'm especially interested in how-to make your own tofu and almond milk. Sounds incredible! Please share!